Grant Application Guidelines
The Herbert W. Hoover Foundation focuses on issues related to:
Community, Education, and Environment
The Foundation generally does not fund:
- Annual Campaigns
2. Capital Campaigns
5. Pass-through (Umbrella) Organizations
6. Reimbursement Funding
7. Start-up Organizations
Grant Application Process
An organization may submit no more than one application to the Foundation in a single calendar year.
- Follow the link to begin the Application Process and submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) Form to the Foundation. LOIs may be submitted during the months of January, May, or September. Applicants will not be able to submit LOIs outside of these months.
- At the close of each LOI period, applicants will be notified as to whether they are invited to submit a full application.
- To begin the Application Process, the applicant will need to Create a New Account, and follow the prompts. After creating the account, applicants will use their email address and password to access their application information. The full application is due by the end of the month following the month in which the applicant submitted the LOI (i.e. February, June, or October, respectively).
- Applicants who submitted a full application will be notified of their award status by the end of the month preceding the next LOI period (i.e. April, August, or December, respectively).
The online LOI Form will require the following information:
- Title of Project or Program
- Summary of Project or Program
- Amount Requested
- Location (In-Stark County, or Out-of-Stark County, Ohio)
- Type of Funding (Project/Program, Capital Campaign, Operating, or Start-up)
- Organization’s Mission
- Program Area (Community, Education, Environment, Combination, or Other)
- Secondary Program Area (explanation if Combination or Other)
- Target Audience
- Total of Project or Program Budget
- Total of Annual Operating Budget
- Whether or not your organization has Audited Financial Statements
- Tax Status (501(c)3, Agency of Government, Church, Not a nonprofit organization; with a fiscal sponsor)
- Name of Fiscal Sponsor (if applicable)
- IRS Effective Date Exemption (if applicable)
- Additional information to help us better understand your request/li>
- After review, and upon acceptance, the Foundation will invite you to complete the formal Grant Application. Unless you are otherwise notified, Grant Applications are due by the last business days of February, June, and October.
The online Application Form will require the following information:
- Organization History
- Board of Directors or Trustees
- Implementation of Project or Program
- Evaluation of Project or Program (measurable outcomes)
- Project/Program and Executive staff (one paragraph biographies)
- Sponsoring Organization (contact person, address, phone, and email, if applicable)
- Other foundations and organizations contacted for funding the project or program, the amounts requested, and the status of those requests (Pending, Approved, Denied, N/A)
- Detailed Project Budget
- Annual Operating Budget (if monies are to be used for general program or operating expenses)
- State issued Certificate of Continued Existence (or explanation of why you don’t have one) Click for example
- Comments and additional project proposal information (as available)
- The Herbert W. Hoover Foundation will acknowledge receipt of your submitted Grant Application via email or phone call.
- You will be notified by the Foundation after the Trust Committee makes its decision regarding your proposal. Decisions by the Trust Committee are generally made during the months of April, August, and December.
- If funding is approved, the Foundation’s Grant Agreement will be signed by an officer of your organization, and returned electronically to the Foundation prior to your receiving a check.
- Follow-up reports regarding the funded project are required. An example of the required Financial Report is contained herewith. Click to Download
- The Foundation should be recognized in Websites, press releases and news items
- The Foundation does NOT fund indirect costs nor administrative overheard for any grant
- Incomplete applications will be returned to your organization without review by the Trust Committee
- The Foundation is to be notified if the funding goal has been reached prior to the Trust Committee’s decision, or if the project has been cancelled
The Herbert W Hoover Foundation’s contact person for grant information is Caiti Waks.